Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Buyer-at-large.

My new reality TV crush is "Man Shops Globe" on the Sundance Channel.  Have you seen it? The series, now in Season 2, follows in the footsteps of Keith Johnson, Anthropologie's buyer-at-large.  Ahhh to be paid to travel the world and buy things.

I started to think about the concept of buyer-at-large a bit more. We all travel the world (wide web) and buy things. Perhaps we are not so different.  In one episode Keith is in Bangkok hunting for the perfect indigo fabric for a line of best selling quilts. As he treks through the myriad of shops even he is overwhelmed by the vast sea of choices around him. "Where do you start" he asks, "Where do you begin to edit?"

Isn't that what we all say? Especially when shopping for our wedding. We look for one dress, one veil, one bridesmaid gift,  and the list goes on. We have this one time to make it special. One time to make it perfect. One time make it ours. Like Anthropologie's buyer-at-large we must edit thoughtfully and carefully. Does an item speak to our style, personality, and budget? If the answer is yes somehow it all falls into place.

I feel the same way when creating a one-of-a-kind accessory. I have one chance to decide how I'm going to use a vintage brooch or how I plan to re-purpose a lot of "one-off" vintage earrings. I travel the same road of being overwhelmed by a literal and figurative web of choice. Where do I start? Where do I begin to edit? So I look to the items to speak to me. I trust in the creative and intuitive process. You can do the same. Trust your gut and your choices will reflect a style that is special, perfect and all yours.

For a little escape tune in to Man Shops Globe each Wednesday at 10 p.m. EST

No comments:

Post a Comment